Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Draft again!

This time I finished 1st in a 4-man draft in Recto. There being just 4 of us, the chances of getting a chase rare were slim... but that doesn't mean we didn't!

In the first round I drafted green for Overrun and waited anxiously for the Craw Wurms, Spined Wurms, and Sylvan Basilisks that would no doubt come my way. They never did. I got 2 Skyshroud Rangers and some random black trash. I counterdrafted Benalish Knight and threw in a couple of Plains for him. It was horrible. I finished 3rd on the strength of Overrun. For my trouble, I got a Loyal Sentry (would've been my 5th). Tal beat me in the first round and finished 2nd, losing to William. I can't remember what either of their decks were like, but William had the Horseshoe Crab + Arcane Teachings shenanigans.



The second round was much better. I was able to draft some nice efficient creatures (though I was still forced to go 3-colors due to the shallowness of the cardpool). In this format I really get to appreciate the creatures that are usually never touched in Standard. One spectator praised the efficiency of my Grizzly Bears. Rawr!

I won't go too deep into details, but one thing that really made me laugh happened in game 2 of the fight for 1st-2nd. My opponent cast Juggernaut, his big, nasty wrecking machine. On my turn I clip Pacifism on it. It looks like that's the end of the story until two turns later when I cast... Sculpting Steel! It was pretty much good game when I cast Mass of Ghouls the following turn and then Angelic Blessing on Mass the turn after that.



First pick! For my trouble: Hypnotic Spectre, Blanchwood Armor, Faerie Conclave, and Knight of Dusk.

A few words on drafting strategy. Tal says he might have to change his style of getting the HUGE vanilla creatures over the smaller, more efficient ones, and pretty high in the pick order too. I think that even in draft there has to be some kind of curve, although making one is astronomically more difficult than it is in standard. However as my experience in tonight's first round proves, you need the mamaw!

Also, how would YOU pick from my first pack, which contained: Incinerate, Terror, Craw Wurm Mortivore, AND Juggernaut? I picked Terror. Juggernaut was sorely tempting, followed by Incinerate.

A word of condolence for all those who suffered greatly on this day six years ago.


BLOGGING FOR WHAT'S RIGHT!
September 11, 2007 11:57 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home