Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Blessed Blog of God

I've read all the words in the Sandman series. It's not THAT deep. Not really. Maybe.

"What happens to you when you die?" asks a little human.

"Depends on who you are." replies Death of the Endless.

Now there's a quote.

Ah. I begin: This conversation presupposes that something is left of your consciousness when you die. I disagree. Therefore, I maintain my previous position that when you die you cease to exist, consciousness-wise.

So why did I bother writing the quote here? Because, while I disagree with the implementation of the idea, the idea itself has merit in my eyes. Used in a different situation: Question: "What do you see when you read Sandman?" My answer: "Depends on who you are." Question: "How deep is the Sandman?" Answer: "Depends on how deep you are."

Another quote, this time from Socrates' contemporary, Protagoras: "Man is the tool by which the universe is measured." Again, the idea is there but the phrasing is off. If we were to believe Protagoras then a very shallow person would find Sandman very deep, since, being shallow, he would perceive something deeper than himself as an abyss of depth. This is not the case. People who look deeply into themselves are the people who read the most out of something like the Sandman series. Those who are less self-aware simply see a comic book whose main protagonist, like Vin Diesel, is always cool and cannot be defeated (even gods bow to Dream of the Endless).

Now I bring the two quotes together. I did not see that much depth in the Sandman. If it is really there then I must have missed it. This means I am a shallow person. This gladdens me. I revel in my shallowness; my inability to be hurt. The lack of a face behind my mask.

I am nothing more than what I am.

BLOGGING FOR WHAT'S RIGHT!
September 16, 2006 11:02 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home